Skip to main content

First post!

I finally have a blog! * jumps ecstatically* 
I'm utterly exhausted, but i'm not going to allow my exhaution to deter me from blogging . 
Students from Adelaide came to visit our school today. 
I was told that our school is the only school they're visiting during their "study tour" in Malaysia. 
Imagine that, that's Teresian pride for you! 
Some of them could speak Malay really fluently - with an Ozzie accent of course (apparently they learn Malay at school).

Their visit to our school brought back memories of last year's mooting competition organised by Bond University. I still remember shaking so much when I'd found out that we'd won 'Best Team' and bagged the two 'Best Advocate' titles, and having one of the judges giving me a much needed hug when she saw the look of utter disbelief on my face when I went up to receive the prize. 


I recall how worn-out we all were:-

  • After working so hard and skipping so many classes for first the inter-school and then, the State division debate, we had to sit for our exams. 
  • Hah, and not long after our exams were over, our teacher got the three of us to take part in the moot.
I have no idea why we agreed to it, but we did. I have no regrets though because it proved to be so enjoyable! We even had an old Teresian who is now a practising lawyer help us with our 'court' case (which is of a practising surgeon who fails to successfully separate conjoint twins, with mitigating factors being her single young mother status). 

This was the first time success has ever tasted this sweet to me.. I don't know how to describe the moment when the results were announced. Like I was riding on Cloud 10, like God decided to give me this earthly blessing to encourage me for all the hard work I've put into these speaking engagements. It was even more special because for the first time, I really felt that I did most of the preparations for my part on my own, especially since we prepared for it over such a short period of time - there was no time for my teachers or my mum (who usually helps me with these things) to edit my script.

Actually, hang on. Gosh, success really has a way of making one big-headed. No, it's not my own capability (I admit, I really want to take all the credit for it) - it was God all along.
It was God who: (1) gave me people to help and support me in our debate prep. (2) enabled me to prepare for the moot. (3) answered all the prayers we prayed.

I'll definitely miss the process of us working our butts off in the prep process, and the prayer sessions our spunky and amazing English teachers and us girls always have before we go up to speak. I still remember walking back home with my friends from our teacher's house around midnight after rigorous evenings of preparing and practising. And I laugh recalling the flirtatious advances some boys made to one of my friends when we were at the State division debate  (we considered making money by selling her number). I won't ever forget the jubilant group hugs we shared when we won the inter-school debate and the moot, nor the disappointed tears we shed when we came third in the State division debate (though I was really upset for awhile since l felt second place was rightfully ours as we never had the chance to challenge the team that came second, but that's all in the past now!). 

In hindsight, what tasted even sweeter apart from winning was having developed such rich friendships with my friends and teachers through these times, and seeing how faithful (not once did we feel 'abandoned' under all the pressure because God really was with us) and attentive God was (and still is) to every prayer we prayed! :')

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...