Skip to main content

Dirty dishes


he other day, I was working at the retirement village as usual and I was wearing the carry the call t-shirt, the one that has John 1:1-4 at the back of it.

As I was carrying the pile of dishes to the counter, Mr H wheeled his chair over to me and asked me, "How do you know it's true? That verse at the back. How do you know it's for real?"

I told him I knew that God was real because of how he worked in my life, that how he brought so much meaning into my life was so real and so supernatural that I couldn't put it into words. I knew it was definitely something I couldn't do on my own strength.. that I was fully convinced it was God.. that I knew He had to be the Creator of everything.

I thought he was going to start this theological debate with me but, he didn't. Phew! Mr B overheard our conversation and smiled at me saying, "I'm glad he's doing some good in your life."

Hehs. What could I have said? I didn't really know how to answer his question but that was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Anyhow, to share with them about God, it just felt amazing. The rest of the evening, I kept wondering how many of them knew Christ, how I could really reach out to them.

I try to be as warm and friendly as I can.. as helpful as I can, but is that enough? Don't know how to show that I care. ahh.. I'm thinking too much. I'm always thinking too much.

Really, they're all so sweet, although there are times where they can be a tad bit fussy.

Now everytime Mr H sees me, if I'm not wearing the red carry the call t-shirt, he'll ask, "where's your t-shirt?" And he always refers to me as "the girl with the Jesus t-shirt.." I think I like to be called that, "the girl with the Jesus t-shirt." =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...