I was just thinking about the prayer chain some of my friends in Fiji commit to every Friday, and basically, they pray all night long from 9pm to 6am in the morning. They all gather at the office, and they each take an hour or two hour slots any time within that time frame.
A friend of mine who participated in that prayer chain for the first time was relaying to me what the experience was like. He was telling me how it was just so inspiring that the Fijians looked forward to that Friday, every single week, saying that it was their favourite time of the whole week.
He was also telling me how he had the 2 to 3am shift, half asleep and jet-lagged, he prayed for Fiji and the areas affected by the floods, for the world, for things that God had put on his heart to pray for. At 2:45am, my exhausted and relieved friend nudged this 55-year-old Fijian lady, telling her that it was soon her turn to pray at 3am, and this was her enthused reply: "Ohhh, I can't wait! Finally, it's my turn!"
In the morning, he questioned the Fijians: "Don't you get tired from staying up all night, praying? Do you spend most of your Saturday resting?"
One of the Fijians replied (and the others appeared to share the same sentiments), "No, we just continue with business as usual, we don't feel tired at all, and we believe it's because those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength - Isaiah 40:31".
He was also telling me that he didn't feel the least bit tired after that all-night prayer time, in fact, he felt completely fine and much less jet-lagged. :)
I think I have a lot to learn from my Fijian brothers and sisters. How they so enthusiastically wait upon the Lord - Friday is one of my favourite times of the week, but not for the same reasons. My prayer life has become dull, uninteresting, dry. I push it aside when I am busy, and just read through my devotional instead thinking that I'll find some time to do it later in the day after I have finished my work. I worry that I'll be spent after I pray for an hour, leaving no time to brainstorm and work on assignments etc.
These Fijians are onto something! :) Through their example, I feel like Jesus is telling me what he told Martha: "Martha, Martha (Abby, Abby), you are worried about many things, but Mary (your Fiji friends) has (have) chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her (them)".
The question now is, "will I heed His voice and make that choice?"
Comments
Post a Comment