Skip to main content

Obeying


There are many things in my life that I wished had not taken place and so many plans I made that God thwarted which just broke the little heart that had its obstinate mind set on doing things its way. It's true, trials do build character but they only build character if we hold on to the lessons we learned during them.

We don't THINK clearly until a long time passes - but we sure can SEE clearly right now and right here.
We won't be able to reason WHY we have to obey, why this is being taken away, why this is happening or has been allowed to happen. And strangely, the more we try to think and reason our way out of a problem, out of confusion on what God's will is - we get more confused. Sure, we can do that in intellectual matters but in spiritual matters, it just lands us in further spiritual confusion.

"Simplicity is the secret to seeing things clearly - to see things clearly, to 'conquer' spiritual confusion, I must obey. Even the very smallest thing that we allow in our lives that is not under the control of the Holy Spirit is completely sufficient to account for spiritual confusion, and spending all of our time thinking about it will still never make it clear. Your reasoning capacity will come later but reasoning is not how we see. We see like children, and when we try to be wise we see nothing (see Matthew 11:25). We ought to bring all our arguments and every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ regarding the matter, and everything will become as clear as daylight for us (see 2 Corinthians 10:5)" - Chambers

And so, dear Pa, I commit this new day again to You - that I may obey You as simply as a child would. Following You sometimes appears to be waaay too complex for me but if I stop rationalising and reasoning and start having faith like a child.. obeying You can be so much simpler. With this in mind, I just pray that I will have the faith to stop questioning all Your decisions and ways, and just love You.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...