Skip to main content

Regrouping

I just watched such a heartwrenching documentary.

Linda Shum, the founder of Eagles Wings Homes, is an Australian who runs 8 homes for severely disabled children in China. With the one-child policy in China, her interviewer noted that it is not uncommon for a disabled child to be abandoned.

She once worked as a primary school teacher. Soon after her husband retired from his role as a school principal, Linda told him that she wanted to start a home for orphans in China. Using most of their savings and the funds they raised, they had enough money to build their first home. Tragically, two weeks before the opening of their first home, her husband suffered a stroke and died. When he died, he left an insurance policy worth $50,000 and she used that money to build two more homes for these children.

In closing, she said these words that really shook me, making me realise that this is the sort of love Jesus called us to have for the poor:

Interviewer: Well, what would you be doing if you weren't doing this? (I'm guessing she's in her 60's!)
Linda: I don't know, but I think some people go fishing and play golf and do those things but I've never wanted to do that. And so, this is what I want to do.
Interviewer: Yeah, you save abandoned children in China.
Linda: Yeah, it's just my hobby. (And she lets out a light-hearted chuckle!)

Saving abandoned children in China is this Australian woman's hobby?

Man, I have so far to go and there's still a lot I need to learn about how to love others for God.
But I thank Him for all these amazing everyday examples around me.
And this is a good reminder of what a wise friend of mine pointed out to me recently: God really has a heart for the poor (not just the financially poor, but the afflicted, the weak, the ones in the lower ranks of society). Proverbs 19:17 says that those who are kind to the poor *lends* to God. I still cannot comprehend the thought of "lending" to God Almighty, and it just goes to show how important caring for the poor is to Him.

Here's to a new week where I really pray that I will be more in phase with God's heart, and out of phase with my own selfish heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...