Skip to main content

Does anybody see?

Did you notice the lady behind you at church? Her husband just left her for another woman, her children don't contact her any longer, she's just been diagnosed with leukemia and she's at church for the first time because a flyer in her postbox caught her eye. No, you didn't, because you were too afraid to step out of your 'safe zone', and all you wanted to do was to remain there.

Did you notice the sullen eyes of the young man sitting on the park bench? He just graduated two years ago, is still looking for a job, his parents have only condescending words to say to him and his girlfriend of 4 years just left him because she couldn't stand his defeated attitude towards life anymore. No, you didn't, because you were too afraid of the discomfort you would feel if he ends up rolling his eyes at you if you dared to genuinely ask him, "how's it going?"

Did you notice that woman with the crinkled brow that sat next to you on the bus? She's just had an abortion and is feeling low, very low about herself and is thinking about ways to end her own life. No, you didn't, because you were too tired and wanted some "me-time" during the 40-minutes.

Did you notice that young girl in the corner of the room in the social gathering you just attended? She's been to a series of mental health professionals that have over-medicated her and ripped her self-esteem to shreds by the words they've said. She normally doesn't get out much, but is so lonely that she thought she'll give it a try in the hope that she'll make a nice friend or two that would make her lonely journey a bit more bearable. No, you didn't, because you just wanted to stick to the friends you knew, and it would be way too awkward making small talk with this quiet stranger.

Did you pray today for the typhoon victims in Tacloban, Philippines, and for those who have lost loved ones? Every building in their city is damaged, dead bodies of people who once laughed, loved, lived in that city - are now lining a long trench or are still lying on the concrete pavements they once walked gaily on. No, you didn't, because you were "too busy", and had "more urgent" prayers to pray like for good weather so your clothes would dry or for your interview to go well.

In so many ways, I have not kept a keen eye for the needs of those around me. How can I be so selfish, ignorant, lazy and self-absorbed? As sung so honestly by the wealthy churchgoers in Disney's song, "God help the outcasts", I am so preoccupied with asking God to bless me and give me an easy life, that I fail to defend the poor and powerless, the lost and broken-hearted - in my prayers and in deed.

We Christians so badly need the Holy Spirit to open our eyes, ears and hearts to the needs around us. Too many hungry and broken hearts are out there. The God who bound up and richly satisfied our very own broken and empty hearts wants us and invites us to love them with and through Him.

"She is running a hundred miles an hour in the wrong direction
Does anybody hear her? 
Can anybody see?
Or does anybody even know she's going down today?
Under the shadow of our steeple
With all the lost and lonely people
Searching for the hope that's tucked away in you and me."
- Casting Crowns

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...