Skip to main content

Still learning to ask

This past month I felt like God really wanted me to learn to ask Him. For what? I'm still learning, but I've been praying for anything and everything that's been on my heart like my needs, needs of others, (less frequently) world issues (of course my heart is super flawed, so at the same time, I've been praying that He will align my heart's desires with His and He has been correcting and leading me).

There have just been situations, things that people have said to me, devotions and bible studies that just seemed to have the same theme: learn to ask Me. Without going into detail, the coincidences were so frequent, I really felt that God was trying to get my attention.

And I'm finding that as I learn to ask God more and more on a regular basis:
- I am really learning to depend on Him (I am learning to ask as a result of the realisation of my own spiritual poverty - I am just completely incapable of doing anything right for God in my own strength and I need to depend on His strength),

- He is correcting many MANY wrong, selfish, self-gratifying motives in my heart, and revealing His will to me as I ask - which has been really fun, though quite uncomfortable at times (e.g., beyond delivering my from difficult situations, He has been humbling me and revealing what He wants to teach me in those situations - and that I find, has often been far more valuable than an improvement in the situation itself),

- And even better still, I am getting to know Him better and better - and that to me, has been the best part of this whole process. I have forgotten how generous God is when I keep trying to "earn grace" through my works (which you of course can't). I have forgotten that He is my Father and that I don't have to manipulate Him to help or provide for me, and that I just need to ask out of my relationship with Him as His child.I am learning that I was wrong in thinking that prayer is just about seeking what God can give to you. It's far bigger. Prayer is about seeking God - the person of God, who He is, as we ask out of our relationship with Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...