Skip to main content

Hospitality vs entertaining

Did I ever mention that I just cannot host parties or big group catch-ups? (That's why I just attend them rather than host them. I have never hosted a big party for awhile.. haha.) It stresses me out waaay too much because I would feel like I need to make every single person feel welcomed - and the thought of that just makes me feel like shrinking because I know I won't be capable of that.

But my pastor shared something last year about the difference between entertaining and Jesus-centred hospitality. And it has really helped with my party-hosting aversive personality.

Entertainment is when everything must be perfect, but hospitality is when you just simply seek to bless.

Entertainment is when you wanna impress others, but hospitality, there is no need to be perfect and impress others - because I already have God's approval and that is enough.

When entertaining, there is no acknowledgement of God's generosity, but hospitality is in response to His generosity.

Entertainment is in dependence upon self, but hospitality is in reliance upon God.

When I feel I am able to love the different people in my life, I don't say, "Yes, I did it" - but I should say, "Yes, God, You did it!"

It never occurred to me that it was my overt concern of getting people to like me that drove my party-hosting aversive personality. But it is so freeing to be shown that hospitality is all about making God great, and not myself great; and that it is about loving others in response to how He loves me.

You know - the reason I am blogging about this at 7am in the morning is because I cooked chicken rice for my friend last night at 10pm (she will eat it today) and I've coooked it soo many times, I really was quite confident it'll turn out pretty good. I was too exhausted to check out how my rice turned out last night, and so with anticipation, I tasted it this morning. And it was bad. Sigh :( :( :( Dry. Too salty. Blergh. I wouldn't eat it.

But I will cling to these truths that God's brought to light, and I pray that regardless of my failed chicken rice, my party-hosting aversive personality and my unhealthy concern for wanting people to like me over the certain truth that I already am approved by God through Jesus.. that He can use me to be a blessing to her today.

Haha - so chill, Abby chill. Even though your chicken rice was a fail, your Daddy's got this! And I will rely upon You, today. Haha, this is kinda funny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...