Skip to main content

Tomorrow

Jesus said this in Matthew 6:34, "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

I have been worrying and worrying and worrying and worrying and worrying about my internship. Still haven't got one and the clock is ticking. I was so encouraged by what a friend shared that she has been learning not to worry about tomorrow, that she is learning to trust her Father at all times, leave work at work, and be fully present each moment.

If He - the Creator of this universe who owns all things, whose mercy and love is so deep I can never ever truly comprehend fully - if He says I don't need to worry about tomorrow, then I *really* don't need to worry about tomorrow. I should just keep living fully in the present - knowing and loving Him, and loving others for Him in the present, without loading myself with anxiety about what tomorrow might hold.

Did you know that the plethora of research has highlighted intolerance of uncertainty as one of the factors that strongly contributes to anxiety disorders? And yet, intolerance of uncertainty does not need to be something we have to face each day because I know that because of what my Jesus did, I am able to get to know my God - knowing Him, loving Him, serving Him..!

C.S. Lewis pointed out in his book, "The Screwtape Letters" that God wants us to be concerned with only two points in time: eternity (being concerned with God and pondering our eternal union/separation with Him) and the present (obeying the present voice of conscience, bearing the present cross, receiving the present grace, giving thanks for the present pleasure). The devil's in the business of getting us away from the eternal and the Present. God does not want men to give the Future their hearts, to place their treasure in it. But the devil does. I've also never thought about it this way, but Lewis pointed out that at times, we may stop worrying about the future, not because we are putting our trust in God, but because we have convinced ourselves that the Future will be agreeable. This is what Lewis described as "false hope" that "piles up more disappointment." Instead, he encourages us to be prepared as trials are very likely to be ahead of us and that we have to pray and pray for God to give us the virtues we need to meet them. And at the same time, to be concerned with the Present because "there and there alone, all duty, all grace, all knowledge, and all pleasure dwell" (through Christ Jesus our Lord, of course!).

Heheh. And I really love the lyrics of this old song! :)

I don't know about tomorrow
I just live from day to day
I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to gray
I don't worry over the future
For I know what Jesus said
And today I'll walk beside Him
For He knows what is ahead

I don't know about tomorrow
It may bring me poverty
But the one who feeds the sparrow
Is the one who stands by me
And the path that be my portion
May be through the flame or flood
But His presence goes before me
And I'm covered with His blood

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand

Comments

  1. Listen to that soft still sound that brings much comfort in times of anxiety. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hellooo Happy!! Yes, you're right, I must wait quietly and listen to what my Father is saying. Thanks my dear <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...