Skip to main content

The past few months

"My heart is so proud, my mind is so unfocused
I see the things You do through me as great things I have done
And now You gently break me, then lovingly You take me
And hold me as my Father and mould me as my Maker.."

I was just listening to the lyrics of "Grace" by Laura Story, and it prompted me to talk with God about the things He's been teaching me the past few months. Here it is :)

Dad,
What could you be doing in my life right now apart from teaching me to not find my worth in success - academic, career and financial success?

When better to teach me than at the start of my career?

But this success addict is finding it so hard to let go of what has given me a sense of worth so much of my life. I never realised how much importance I placed on it until it became nearly impossible for me to succeed and the possibility of failure is becoming so real.

I thought You abandoned me and so I got really angry at You and stopped doing what my renewed heart loved doing the most - talking with You.

Even so, like Hosea waited for Gomer, You waited for me to come back to You. And when I did, what did You tell me to do? "Just be honest with me Abby, I desire truth from the depths of Your heart - tell me how you really feel about things, even about me." To be honest Dad, being able to be blatantly honest with You about what I think of You and what You are doing in my life has opened my eyes to the depths of Your mercy and love. By Your sacrifice on the cross, You allowed me, who deserved complete and eternal separation from my Holy and Loving Father because of my disobedience towards You, to tell You how angry I was at You.

I'm still in the trial. I wrestle with You, accuse You of abandoning me and ask why You aren't keeping the promises You have made in Your Word. Deep down, I know they're true and I just want to give You a hard time. And You answer my question by telling me to keep on asking You for them because You're teaching me perseverance right now. Slowly, You are refilling my heart with more and more confidence that You are a good, good Father. For weeks and weeks I have clung on to this truth to get me through each day, as I faced the fear of failing, the fear of becoming nothing since success was everything to me. Your assurance was deep. It stood in stark contrast to the shallow and fleeting assurance success gave me when it was still within my grasp.

For the first time in a long time, my heart (not just my head) was responding and yielding to You. I love You, Daddy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...