Skip to main content

I remember

I just spent three weeks in Europe with my extended family and one of my closest friends, all of whom I love to bits. I haven't seen one of my cousins for like 8 years and another friend for like 5 years? (I don't know how long!) I wasn't supposed to go, because I'm supposed to be writing my thesis and seeing more clients to prepare for my exam. I have been reasonably traumatized from all that's taken place (self-diagnosis: acute stress disorder with anxiety and depressive symptoms) and I felt like I really really needed to have a break.

I really thank You, God, for this opportunity. I just felt like "I", not my uni, was in control of my time. Sometimes I just feel so "trapped", and I'm trying so hard to keep it together.

And during those three weeks away..
I remember how it was to just be me, and not have to try so hard to meet the world's (or my uni's) expectations.
I remember what it's like to just goof around and be silly.
I remember what it's like to just be loved, feel safe to be me.
I remember what it's like to love life and go after the desires of my heart, and not stifle it.

Thank You, dear God. But I am struggling to acclimatize back to the level of stress I am under. I want so much to be on holiday still and I have been having dreams of travelling. Sigh. God, please give me strength for what You have me do. I look to You, my Saviour and my God.

Something that really spoke to me during my trip were the lyrics of this German song, "Mittlepunkt". My cousin arranged for us to visit his church, and he and his friend translated the entire service (and song lyrics) for us.

There's a part of the song that goes like this:
Sei Du der Mittlepunkt in meiner SchwΓ€che (Be the centre of my weakness)
der Mittlepunkt in meiner StΓ€rke (Be the centre of my strength)
ich gehΓΆre Dir (I belong to You)

It really spoke to me because I hate my weaknesses, and I'm so frustrated with how my anxiety and lack of confidence has been tripping me up so much in my course. I think I have some really good strengths as a therapist and I am pretty proud of that. But GOD, You be the centre. It's OK that I'm weak and I fail, YOU be the centre, YOU are my perfect Saviour, I cannot even save myself even if I tried. And unto YOU I consecrate my talents and my gifts.

Help me, God the next three months. It will be a very hard three months, but please be the centre of my weakness and the centre of my strength. I love You and thank You.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...