I really don't know how to compose this blog post because I intended it to be a reflection of what I have been learning from the books of the bible written by Moses. The problem is, there is so much I have learnt about God and myself in these books, and I can't make up my mind on which one I want to reflect on :) Hehe, how is that even a problem? I guess I'll just go with the flow, but there is a key one that really stood out to me about following Jesus in times of success (I'll leave it for the end of the post).
A friend of mine introduced me to this YouTube channel, the Bible Project, and it has really helped with understanding the events that occurred while the Israelites were travelling in the wilderness to the Promised Land, and the strange laws God gave to the Israelites make so much more sense when you consider the wider context. I think what really stood out to me was how real God is in these books, as real as any person you and I will come across today. You can really feel His emotions as these books record God's conversations with Moses, whom He speaks with as with a friend.
You hear God expressing His longing for Israel, the people He loves, to follow Him: "Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!" You read about His anger with rebellious Israel, who continue to complain despite God's continued faithfulness to them: "How long will this wicked community grumble against me? I have heard the complaints of these grumbling Israelites". God knew what was in their hearts, that they "did not trust or obey Him".
I also related a lot to the Israelites' fearful and stubborn hearts. I know what it's like to have trials blind me to the goodness of God, so much so that my heart hardens towards Him. And by God's grace, I know what it's like to have God humble my heart, soften it and open its' eyes so I can see how He is leading me through that trial. Deuteronomy 8:2-3 talks about how God led the Israelites in the wilderness for 40 years to show them what was in their hearts, whether they would keep His commands; to humble them so that they would hunger for God's presence in their lives, and to teach them that man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord; and to discipline them for God considered them as His beloved children.
God has been incredibly patient with me, as He has been with the Israelites. I have strayed so many times, especially when I have only followed Him half-heartedly - not relying on Him, not waiting on Him, not feeding on Him, just engaging in religious activities by attending church and bible study, but not seeking Him wholeheartedly each day.
I have just submitted my thesis two weeks ago and received a job offer one week ago in an area that I'm really interested in and passionate about, and in the same city I am currently living in (no moving for now, although I was prepared to move). :') I am so tempted to think highly of myself for getting a job offer so soon. But, God, can You remind me of the countless times I never thought I would complete this qualification, and the times I was completely at the end of my abilities and efforts, and how You strengthened me and blessed me with people to help me continue the journey?
And so, as I reflect on these blessings God has given me and I wrestle with the temptation to become proud and overvalue them, this passage from Deuteronomy 8:11-20 was really timely (emphasis mine):
Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God,
failing to observe His commands, His laws, and His decrees that I am giving you this day.
Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied,
then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God,
who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
He led you through the vast and dreadful wilderness, that thirsty and waterless land, with its venomous snakes and scorpions. He brought you water out of hard rock.
He gave you manna to eat in the wilderness, something your ancestors had never known, to humble and test you so that in the end it might go well with you.
You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me."
But remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms His covenant, which He swore to your ancestors, as it is today.
If you ever forget the Lord your God and follow other gods and worship and bow down to them, I testify against you today that you will surely be destroyed. Like the nations the Lord destroyed before you, so you will be destroyed for not obeying the Lord your God.
I know God calls me to remember that it is Him who gives me the wisdom, understanding and heart for people to be able to do my clinical work. That it is not just me working, but me in Him, and He in me. There are also very grave consequences if I do not continue following Him, and I know this warning is not to make me feel afraid, but rather uncomfortable.. that I will be extremely foolish to rely on my own strength, rather than God's. I think there is also a need for me to keep coming to God and asking Him to search my heart so He can correct me and guide me.
A friend of mine introduced me to this YouTube channel, the Bible Project, and it has really helped with understanding the events that occurred while the Israelites were travelling in the wilderness to the Promised Land, and the strange laws God gave to the Israelites make so much more sense when you consider the wider context. I think what really stood out to me was how real God is in these books, as real as any person you and I will come across today. You can really feel His emotions as these books record God's conversations with Moses, whom He speaks with as with a friend.
You hear God expressing His longing for Israel, the people He loves, to follow Him: "Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!" You read about His anger with rebellious Israel, who continue to complain despite God's continued faithfulness to them: "How long will this wicked community grumble against me? I have heard the complaints of these grumbling Israelites". God knew what was in their hearts, that they "did not trust or obey Him".
I also related a lot to the Israelites' fearful and stubborn hearts. I know what it's like to have trials blind me to the goodness of God, so much so that my heart hardens towards Him. And by God's grace, I know what it's like to have God humble my heart, soften it and open its' eyes so I can see how He is leading me through that trial. Deuteronomy 8:2-3 talks about how God led the Israelites in the wilderness for 40 years to show them what was in their hearts, whether they would keep His commands; to humble them so that they would hunger for God's presence in their lives, and to teach them that man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord; and to discipline them for God considered them as His beloved children.
God has been incredibly patient with me, as He has been with the Israelites. I have strayed so many times, especially when I have only followed Him half-heartedly - not relying on Him, not waiting on Him, not feeding on Him, just engaging in religious activities by attending church and bible study, but not seeking Him wholeheartedly each day.
I have just submitted my thesis two weeks ago and received a job offer one week ago in an area that I'm really interested in and passionate about, and in the same city I am currently living in (no moving for now, although I was prepared to move). :') I am so tempted to think highly of myself for getting a job offer so soon. But, God, can You remind me of the countless times I never thought I would complete this qualification, and the times I was completely at the end of my abilities and efforts, and how You strengthened me and blessed me with people to help me continue the journey?
And so, as I reflect on these blessings God has given me and I wrestle with the temptation to become proud and overvalue them, this passage from Deuteronomy 8:11-20 was really timely (emphasis mine):
Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God,
failing to observe His commands, His laws, and His decrees that I am giving you this day.
Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied,
then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God,
who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
He led you through the vast and dreadful wilderness, that thirsty and waterless land, with its venomous snakes and scorpions. He brought you water out of hard rock.
He gave you manna to eat in the wilderness, something your ancestors had never known, to humble and test you so that in the end it might go well with you.
You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me."
But remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms His covenant, which He swore to your ancestors, as it is today.
If you ever forget the Lord your God and follow other gods and worship and bow down to them, I testify against you today that you will surely be destroyed. Like the nations the Lord destroyed before you, so you will be destroyed for not obeying the Lord your God.
I know God calls me to remember that it is Him who gives me the wisdom, understanding and heart for people to be able to do my clinical work. That it is not just me working, but me in Him, and He in me. There are also very grave consequences if I do not continue following Him, and I know this warning is not to make me feel afraid, but rather uncomfortable.. that I will be extremely foolish to rely on my own strength, rather than God's. I think there is also a need for me to keep coming to God and asking Him to search my heart so He can correct me and guide me.
Comments
Post a Comment