Skip to main content

Thankful

When he lost his wallet, Matthew Henry, a theologian, had this to say:
Let me be thankful, first, because he never robbed me before;
Second, because although he took my purse, he did not take my life;
Third, because although he took all I possessed, it was not much;
And fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed.

I was in a minor car accident today. Sadly, the guy who hit me ran away as soon as he did it, but I managed to get his car plate number. At first, all I could think of was a trail of self-pity thoughts, and also, feeling wronged, and also, the inconvenience this will cause me. So grateful that God brought this to my mind after the accident. My pastor shared this quote in one of his sermons, and it really struck me how people who know their God have great contentment in God - so much so that they continue to trust Him and rest in Him even in yuck circumstances.

"I have learnt the secret of being content in any and every situation," apostle Paul writes to the Philippians, "whether well fed or hungry.. I can do this through Him who gives me strength".

Before the 100happydays challenged was initiated, before the inception of positive psychology, God called us to have thankful hearts. He calls us to "give thanks in every situation, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus". There is so much for us to be grateful for when God has given us the greatest gift we could ever ask for.

So.. what can I be thankful for in this situation?
First, I am so thankful that it was just my car, and not me who was injured in this situation
Second, I am thankful that there is no such thing as car accidents in heaven
Third, I am thankful that only my front passenger door was affected, and that I have saved up an emergency fund for an occasion like this
Fourth, I am so thankful that God is really a just judge who sees all that happens in this world, and I can let go of my anger and judgments of this individual, and let God be the judge



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...