Skip to main content

Like a child

I really love this quote about the gospel that's explained in really simple language that a child would understand.

It reminds me that I don't have to overcomplicate following Jesus. I think I might reduce a lot of grief for myself if I learn to let go of overthinking things, and simply trust and obey. I think it also changes how I think about stepping into the unknown. Rather than 'aaaahhh, I'm going to lose control', it feels much more like I'm heading out on an adventure with God. I still have no idea where I'm heading, but I'm being guided by a reliable and experienced mountaineer acquainted with all the different paths. :)

'Now the bible isn't just a book of rules or heroes, it's most of all a story, an adventure story of a young hero who comes from a far country to win back his lost treasure.

It's a love story of a brave prince who leaves his palace, his throne, everything, to rescue the one he loves.

It's like the most wonderful of fairy-tales that has come true in real life.

The best thing about this story is that it's true.

There are lots of stories in the bible, but all the stories tell one big story - the story of how God loves His children and comes to rescue them.

It takes the whole bible to tell this story, and at the center of the story is a baby. 

Every story in the bible whispers His name.

He is like the missing piece of the puzzle, the piece that makes all other pieces fit together.

And suddenly you can see a beautiful picture.'

- Andrew Peterson, commenting on the Jesus Storybook Bible for children, and in introducing his song 'Gather Round, Ye Children, Come'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...