Skip to main content

I am from

I did a lot of catching up today - spoke to folks back home and one of my closest friends who just turned 17 today! It was great just listening to the sound of their voices, missed them so much.

This meme is about things in my childhood which I hold very close to my heart!
The comic strip below reminded me of how my sister and I used to hunt for our Christmas presents before the day arrived. I still remember trying to act surprised when I unwrapped my much sought-after flower-making kit!



I am from

I am from delightful rambunctious thunderstorms, from the twinkling keys of  C. Steinbert, from verdant fields dotted with wildflowers and shy grass.

I am from the white parsonage next to the church surrounded by pine trees rustling in the breeze. I am from the seven colours God paints so beautifully, the zig-zagged paths of the dragonflies, the little flower that opens, the little bird that sings. I am from doodles with Crayola crayons, and cuddling with a good book until the lights go out. I am from toothless grins, twirling skirts and french braids. I am from the fuzzy-wuzzy caterpillar, the great twilight moths and the fireflies in the evening. From the sunset that sets the sky aflame and frangipanis that looked divine tucked behind a little girl's ear.

I am from jump-rope and smooth stones and playing hopscotch until recess is over. I am from the delightful set of swings hanging from chains and bike rides (downhill, with no hands!) and lego bricks. I am from trees growing in your stomach if you swallow the seeds and a bit of dirt.

I am from Sunday evenings spent with cousins hiding-and-seeking and straying about the "wild back garden". I am from exuberant off-key karaoke sessions and pillow fights, followed by a tidal wave of laughter. I am from asking and receiving (from God) parking spaces, tummy-aches to go away - and a little sister. I am from much loved Christmas Eves at my grandparents’ home – sparkling little faces so full of joy, the table arrayed with a glorious feast, gifts piled waist high and carols emanating from strong vibratos with heart-filled gratitude for the Bethlehem babe.

From “Jesus loves me this I know” and “don’t wear that, it’s indecent”.
From “we only expect you to do your best” and “all things work together for good”.

I am from Christians who have faith in God and follow Him in spite of the heartaches and curved balls life throws at them. From baking sessions with my grandmas whilst listening to their quaint talk about stories of the past.  From fishing trips, and building castles by the sea and in the sky. From mum’s exquisite smoking dresses, and dad’s delicious dishes, grandpa’s poetry as deep and lush as trumpet bells, and grandmas' thickets of lush bougainvillea. I am from growing up with one most loved sister, late nights of Barney and musicals. From lovable destructo spaniels and wet puppy kisses.

I am from churchgoers and readers and musicians, from Ho Hon and Mary and Michael and Adeline and Ben and Fiona. I am from inquisitive minds, and skilled hands, and giving hearts.

From white-paged photo albums where precious pictures were placed with loving hands, and family and faith were valued above all the rust-gathering trinkets that any amount of money could buy.

Comments

  1. Fiona8:30 am

    I have always loved this poem, Abby, as it brings back sweet memories of those precious times of childhood and growing up. Fio

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...