Skip to main content

Searching for acceptance

To be quite honest, sometimes I get just a little irritated (I'm sorry God for using this word, but this is how I feel sometimes) at God because there are so many things I can't do as a Christian with my friends.. and sometimes I think:
- "Oh, if only, I could say some swear words and not use my 'wholesome' Christian lingo all the time, I'll be more accepted." 
- "If only I could drink like a fish like all my other friends while I'm playing that drinking game so that I can join in the fun."
- "If only I didn't have to think twice about going clubbing."

I've always been someone who really seeks to be accepted, since I was a kid, I've always wanted others to approve of me. And even now, although God has previously shown me that knowing Him just doesn't match up to anything this world can offer and that I should not conform to what everyone thinks is "socially acceptable/admirable" (see Romans 12:2), I sometimes lose sight of what's really important. I get tired of being labelled as the "good Christian girl". 

But when I think about it, there's a greater purpose behind all this and I don't want to do all this just because I need to follow this set of rules my religion tells me to. If I'm giving up being accepted just for the sake of following a set of rules, it's just not worth it - I want out because being accepted is a big deal to me, especially when I'm already finding it hard at times to fit into this Western country so far from home.

I suppose on the outside, to others, when I restrain myself after my second, third glass (well, whenever I feel I'm starting to feel more than tipsy), it appears that I'm just following a set of rules and I'm missing out on a lot of fun and I don't really have a life or know how to enjoy myself, but what should really concern me the most is what's happening on the inside not what others are thinking of me. Yes, I am following a set of rules - but those rules were set by Someone I love and respect and revere far above anything - He is my Best Friend, my Guide, my Hope, my Strength, my Refuge, my Saviour, my King, my Lord, my Comforter, my Creator. For someone like me who is a nothing, He gave up everything for - He gave up His only Son to die for us and raised Him to life so that all humankind may have hope after death. So..... His commands should not be burdensome!

Once you know God, no level or form of acceptance from any individual can ever compare to knowing Him. A lot of my teenage years and occasionally in my young adulthood, I've lived for acceptance.
But as children of God we don't live for acceptance, we live from acceptance (see Romans 15:7).
We don't need others' approval because each of us are already approved by God. 'nuff said :)

Comments

  1. I feel the same way! Very well put dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not. easy. but worth it eh :) thaaank yoooouuu <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...