Skip to main content

Process

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2

The "all" catches my eye. Not be "kinda joyful", not consider it all pain or all sorrow or all dread, but "all joy". Why such a hard command, Dad? Yet I know while I can't even find a shred of joy in this situation, Your Spirit in me will help me and enable me.

When you face "various kinds" of trials, not just the less mortifying stuff or the more short term stuff, but a nice wide array of them.

Why? Because the process we go through during these trials tests our faith. By the way, I got an "E" on that faith test. I've learnt that I'm one great doubter which has made me unstable in all I do. Yeah, and these trials have shown me that I was in this life for myself way more than I was for God, seeking God's hand only so my life would be fun and easy, and not Him.

But in that place of complete helplessness and discouragement, with the tiny bit of faith I have - I come to God again. I've been going to my Dad to teach me and I'm loving His lessons. My early morning appointment-keeping history with Him is a train wreck. I've missed it too many times to keep count of, but He's never done that and never will. Even when I show up, I'm grumpy, distracted and I tend to say a couple of empty and routined words that I don't even mean. And just when He's about to tell me something important, I get up and leave. Still, He waits for me to come to Him to show me His love and compassion (Isaiah 30:18).

Although He is so wise and is in the highest position of power and authority, He listens to my woes and heartaches so gently, patiently and compassionately. I'm also learning to stop yapping on so much and start listening to Him more now. He floods me with His comfort and gives me a greater understanding of what His Word says about Him. He's also provided people to teach, challenge, love and encourage me in this process. This deepening of my understanding of God's character has grown my faith so much. I'm still learning not to carry worry with me though. Once I pray to God about a matter, I give that matter completely to Him - that after casting my cares on Him, there aren't any cares left for me to carry! And I find myself just wanting (it's like all I really want) to know God more and more, better and better.

Yeah, I think I'm beginning to learn to enjoy the process even though the trial isn't over yet. Thanks, Dad. *beams*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦶🏻🦶🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up 🧥👚👗 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...