Skip to main content

Safe

By Anthony Doerr, "All the light we cannot see"

And one cold Tuesday in December, when Marie-Laure has been blind for over a year, her father walks her up rue Cuvier to the edge of the Jardin des Plantes.

"Here, ma chérie, is the path we take every morning. Through the cedars up ahead is the Grand Gallery."

"I know, Papa."

He picks her up and spins her around three times. "Now," he says, "you're going to take us home."

Her mouth drops open.

"I want you to think of the model, Marie."

"But I can't possibly!"

"I'm one step behind you. I won't let anything happen. You have your cane. You know where you are."

"I do not!"

"You do."

Exasperation. She cannot even say if the gardens are ahead or behind.

"Calm yourself, Marie. One centimeter at a time."

"I'm far, Papa. Six blocks, at least."

"Six blocks is exactly right. Use logic. Which way should we go first?"

The world pivots and rumbles. Crows shout, brakes hiss, someone to her left bangs something metal with what might be a hammer. She shuffles forward until the tip of her cane floats in space. The edge of a curb? A pond, a staircase, a cliff? She turns ninety degrees. Three steps forward. Now her cane finds the base of a wall. "Papa?"

"I'm here."

Six paces seven paces eight. A roar of noise - an exterminator just leaving a house, pump bellowing - overtakes them. Twelve paces farther on, the bell tied around the handle of a shop door rings, and two women came out, jostling her as they pass.

Marie-Laure drops her cane; she begins to cry. Her father lifts her, holds her to his narrow chest.

"It's so big," she whispers.

"You can do this, Marie."

She cannot.

My reflections on this excerpt:

Isn't this such a beautiful excerpt? This quote from my new favourite book reminds me of my walk with Father God, how I falter and fail to trust Him so often and yet He's always there, my safe place, my refuge always. :')

I feel so afraid right now. I may not be physically blind like Marie-Laure, but I sure can't see how things will pan out with internships by the end of this year. Will I get accepted/ rejected? Will I be articulate enough? Will I have to move out of town? I am at the moment, like Marie-Laure, paralysed with fear, shouting at God, "I cannot" and I can't even bring myself to prepare for my interview because I'm so sure I'll fail.

Just a day ago I was full of faith, bringing Proverbs 21:1 to mind. How quick I am to fall to my face. How quick I am to forget that my Father is with me. I know, I must not idolize and value academic and job security over God. I want to learn to be content in whatever situation.

I want to learn to trust my Daddy to lead me to where He wants me to be, to work in me to will and to work for His good pleasure. Each time I fear, I will call out, "Papa?"

And He tells me: It's okay. I'm here. I'm one step behind you and one step before you - Isaiah 52:12. Get up, try and trust me again. I'm here. I'm always here.

I may not stumble over a bump in the pavement, but I may stumble over my words and I may not get selected. But that's okay and I'm gonna try and prepare for it anyway because I have You as my Father and you're here, right here. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦶🏻🦶🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up 🧥👚👗 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...