Skip to main content

At 4am

Knowing how sensitive I am to caffeine, perhaps it wasn't the wisest thing to have my "kumquat lemon tea with aloe with 30% sugar and 80% less ice" at 10pm. Even if Chatime's just opened in my part of the world and even if I'm leaving for a town where there will be hardly any Asian food, except what I can prepare myself.

It's 4am now and I'm feeling rather proud of myself for spending my time so efficiently. So far I've tidied my room and packed (not done yet though) and I've prepared the batter for apam balik, this crispy pancake with peanut filling. I was whisking away at 3am in the bathroom, hoping that I won't wake any of my family members up. And thanks to my ninja whisking skills, I didn't :P bahahaha.

Now, it's 4am and I've finally decided to try and sleep.. and my thoughts are wandering. I move this Sunday. Although I feel like I've found a really great flat with really nice flatmates, I'm not allowed to bring my dog. Parents and sister can't take care of him anymore for complicated reasons.

It's a long story, but this means we have to send him back to my hometown and have my aunty take care of him - by sending him "home" I mean putting him on a 12-hour plane ride, and he is never coming back to my part of the world. At the end of the day, he is my parent's dog and they get to call the shots on where he ends up. I just feel really really sad. I just taught him how to dance recently where he'll stand on his hind legs and do a twirl. Still needs perfecting, but he's getting there. I haven't been able to bring him for a walk the past 3 weeks because I just didn't want to think about how much I would miss walking him. Sigh. Just the thought of it rips my heart apart - that's how it feels like now anyway. It's strange how God allows us to form such deep bonds of affection with these fluffy four-legged creatures, and how they (especially dogs imo :P) show us affection in return.

Sending him back to my hometown, however, would mean he is likely to be a lot happier because he'll have someone to keep him company most of the day. This will be contingent on Tintin's vet giving him medical clearance declaring that he is fit to fly. And shouldn't we want the best for those we love? It's selfish of me to want to keep him near especially when I can't give him the love and care he needs. I will just pray and cast these cares and sorrows unto my Papa in heaven who loves me and gave His son to die for me.

I will bring Tintin for a walk tomorrow. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...