Skip to main content

Narnia!

Recently, a lot of Narnian things have been coming at me - last week, a friend was telling me about a scene in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader that touched her; then she made me feel like watching a Narnia movie over the Easter break but there were so many to choose from and I couldn't make up my mind on which movie I wanted to see that I didn't end up watching any of the movies; hahaha last night Prince Caspian was on! and I really really wanted to watch the movie from start to finish but I fell asleep 15 mins into it because I was feeling quite sick; and this morning when my dog started scratching on my door and woke me at an unearthly hour (5:40am), I decided to read another chapter of this book I borrowed from the library and in that chapter, there was a small part on this scene from Narnia!

Maybe I should watch or read? the whole series again, maybe God wants to teach me a thing or two from it - I find that sometimes He teaches me really powerful things in movies but if I don't write it down, I tend to forget them quickly after the movie's over so maybe I should have a notepad in hand this time.

Here's the short excerpt I read on Narnia this morning :)!

By Lysa Terkeust and Shaunti Feldhahn

In the 2010 movie, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, based on the book by C. S. Lewis, teenager Lucy Pevensie secretly longs to look more like her beautiful older sister, Susan. She is tempted by the existence of a spell that promises to make her "the beauty you've always wanted to be," and eventually recites the incantation. In a dreamlike state, she sees herself morphing into Susan. But she suddenly finds that once she turns into Susan, her family has never heard of Lucy. She has vanished out of existence. Terrified, she jerks away and sees that Aslan- the great lion who represents Jesus--is there with her.

"What have you done, child?" he asks. She tries to explain why she gave in to her craving, concluding, "I just wanted to be beautiful, like Susan. That's all."  But then Aslan shows her just how big a deal that actually was: "You wished yourself away. And with it, so much more." He reminds her that if she hadn't existed, her family would never know of Narnia.

Gently, but firmly, the great Lion says, "You doubt your value. Don't run from who you are."

Lucy is contrite. She gets it. She decides to be pleased with what Aslan says about her rather than continuing to look in the wrong places to feel satisfied. And some time later, when an admiring young girl tells her, "When I grow up, I want to be just like you," Lucy sits down with her, looks her in the eyes and says, "When you grow up, you should be just like you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...