Skip to main content

It's a pass with reservations

That was my grade for my entire year. But this grade does not define me, my worth is secure as God's child.

I am really confused with the feedback my supervisors and examiners have given me this year.

"You smile too much. Try to smile less or your clients might think you lack empathy."

"You're doing really well. You've improved heaps. You're so empathetic and come off as really professional."

"You're too technical and show no feelings. You don't know how you affect others, you need to be more self-aware."

The last comment was the most recent feedback I received, and for that interaction, I got a "pass with reservations". Sigh. I'm frustrated. Disappointed. In a bid to salvage my self-esteem, I wanna just shrug my shoulders and tell myself apathetically that grades don't matter, they are just grades afterall.

But if I'm really honest, it matters. It matters because a lot is at stake - if I fail my clinical exam twice next year, I'm out of the programme and it means that I have wasted 4 years of my life. Even more so.. it matters because my ego is bruised and my future is not secure. I can almost taste failure next year because I honestly don't know how I can improve. This is just so "timely", I'm nervous enough for my internship interviews, and receiving feedback like this really affects my confidence.

It's hard too because I'm used to doing really well at school and at uni, and to be at the bottom of my class - it's embarassing, but humbling.

What do I do, Dad? What are You trying to teach me here? What if I really fail and get kicked out of the programme?

I think You are teaching me to find my contentment in You. For the man who has God and everything else has no more than the man who has only God. If there is a discrepancy, perhaps it's Your way of hinting to me that maybe I love something more than You, that You aren't my greatest joy and treasure. Even if I do get kicked out of the programme, I have You. You are always with me wherever I go. And in Your presence there is amazing comforts and fullness of joy. And even if I do end up completing the programme, through this, I know You want me to find my contentment in You and only You.

I think You are teaching me to find my rest in You. My worth is secure in You, I don't need to do anything to earn Your love. I do things out of love for You.

I think You are teaching me not to put my trust in things like academic or career success, to hold these things lightly and hold on to You tightly.

I think You are humbling me where before I felt a sense of self-importance because of my "strong interpersonal skills" and my academic ability - now this is stripped away - I can see how much I found value in that over who I am in You. And if I'm honest, a "child of God" is a far more precious and unshakeable and eternal identity than a "university professor" or a "clinical psychologist".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...