Skip to main content

Turn that frown upside down


I just shortchanged myself in my interview today. I knew so much more than the waffly cotton candy answers I gave my interviewers. I found out that I was among the 3 of maybe 15 who were shortlisted. That was really encouraging, but I didn't give enough meaty answers for them to sink their teeth into. So close yet so far.

Why Dad, why am I so bad at interviews? I prepared so hard and what I delivered was horrible.
But even if I don't get this position and I might feel really sad, "underneath are Your everlasting arms!"

After interviews I tend to beat myself up on things I should have or should not have said, but somehow God is guarding my heart and mind. A little bit of that is happening. But God is reminding me that self-knowledge is different from self-reproach. Self-reproach says I am an incompetent failure and I should quit trying. Self-knowledge (knowledge of myself in the way God sees me) is perhaps being honest with myself that my interviewers probably see me as someone who is not as knowledgeable, competent, articulate and confident as the rest. But self-knowledge keeps rejoicing in God's care for me despite unfavourable earthly circumstances - God still sees me and cares for me as His beloved daughter regardless of how I do in interviews :') I thank You, Dad that no matter how well I do in interviews or in practical exams, "there is no moment when Your eye is off me, when Your attention is distracted from me and no moment therefore when Your care falters. This is tremendous relief in knowing that Your love for me is utterly realistic, based on every point on prior knowledge of the worst about me, so that no discovery now can disillusion You about me, in the way I am so disillusioned about myself, nor can it quench Your determination to bless me. This is, certainly, great cause for humility.. and great incentive to worship and love God in the thought that, for some unfathomable reason, He wants to be my friend, and desires to be my friend, and had given His Son to die for me in order to realise this purpose." - J. I. Packer

So, yes, I'm emotionally exhausted and discouraged that I didn't do as well as I could, but I still can move forward, persevere, rest in God and trust that God will open a door somewhere for me - that He already has the right internship planned for me, the right supervisor, and the people He wants me to serve next year. :) Humble me, Pa, let me know that every good gift comes from you and that I am not entitled to anything, everything is a blessing from You.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncomfortable memories

I wanted to reflect on a few things I couldn't do when I had my disc injury last year because again, I think it's important to see how far God has brought me. Warning that this is a hard read/ a bit of a downer, but it also might help you be grateful for so many movements we take for granted! These were 7 things I couldn't do at the height of my pain, but thankfully can now do. 1. Cutting my toenails - bending over was so painful and so hard for a few months and needed help with clipping them, which was so humbling 🦢🏻🦢🏻 2. Changing - it was quite painful to twist my body to change my clothes. Gosh I remember having so little motivation to get out of my pajamas or not even caring what I wear for work when I usually enjoy dressing up πŸ§₯πŸ‘šπŸ‘— 3. Sitting - probably the most painful activity of all, and I still have limits to this. For about 6 months, I could only sit for 30 mins before I experienced the disc pain. Those were the days where I had to stand up every 30 minutes ...

Just keep swimming

I think God is really really teaching me a lesson of perseverance in this season of my recovery. This season has undeniably bore such beautiful gifts, and the frustrations it comes with are real and tough too. Sometimes, I just ask God questions, not knowing if He will answer, but trusting that He lends me His ears to hear me. How much longer, God? Why can't I (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards myself)?  Why can't You (fill in the blanks with my frustrations towards God)? At the heart of these questions, I think the main question I ask God is:  Do You see me God? Do You care for me? My most recent question I asked God is why did You allow this recent flare-up with my back to happen?  Everything was going so well and then You allowed me to have a setback. This even happened just before I was planning to join my church music team to play for an Alpha camp. I had to plan the day so I made sure I had enough rest and I couldn't as carefreely serve. Th...

Worries big and small

I remembered asking God why.. so often while I'm singing or while listening to the pastor preach or when I'm at my small group, my strength is renewed, my cares are released and my faith deepened. But not long after, I return to my tasks and responsibilities with drudgery and I worry worry worry worry worry. I got my answer through this sermon I was listening to: it's because though I lay my burdens down while I'm at church, at the end of the church service - I pick up my burdens and take the whole pile with me out the door. Ha. And this little article I just read (below) is pretty much saying the same thing, really blessed by it! ‘Casting all of your anxiety on Him because he cares for you’ 1 Peter 5:7. The word casting means to throw upon. It’s a deliberate forceful throwing. Some suggest Peter used this term because he was a fisherman and that involves taking a fishing net and forcefully throwing it out from the boat. Peter is actually quoting from Psalm 55:22...